Register your weather station
If you operate your own weather station and would like to contribute your weather data to us this is the right place for you. Windfinder already covers a lot of private weather stations and it would be great to include yours, too. We already have import possibilites for a lot of different weather station types available.
Windfinder is a site primary focused on weather data for wind and water related sports. To keep things clear for our customers, we may reject applications from places that have no noticeable relation to that kind of sport spots. Exceptions (as always) may occur :)
Windfinder already covers a lot of private weather stations and it would be great to include yours, too. We already have import possibilites for a lot of different weather station types available.
To integrate your station into Windfinder.com we need a few information about your weather station, the software used and the geologocal location of the weather station.
We offer support for different weather programs/software out of the box, like Weatherlink, wswin, Virtual Weather Station and more.
The meteohub and WeatherDisplay already have built in support for Windfinder.
Unless you are using Meteohub or WeatherDisplay the normal procedure is that you put a data file produced by the weather software onto a webserver of your coice where we can pick up that file every 15 minutes. You can speed up the process of setting your station up if you write down the address of the data file in the comment field of the application form.
If you have some programming skills you can also send your data to directly to the windfinder server with a simple HTTP-Request (a single record with each request)
We already have adaptors for the following weather softwares:
- Cumulus (file: realtime.txt)
- HeavyWeather (file: history.dat)
- Meteohub (No file upload needed. You'll get an ID and password after your registration)
- Mobotics cameras with connected Davis weatherstations
- PC-Wetterstation; wswin (No file upload needed. We will send you a template file that you can use)
- WeatherDisplay (No file upload needed. You'll get an ID and password after your registration)
- WeatherLink (file: downld02.txt)
In general we can process almost any tabular and other data format. Here is an example for a tabular data format:
Date \t Time \t AirTemp \t MaxTemp \t Windspeed \t Gusts \t WindDir \t Barometer \ Rain
- Times must be in local time and in any common format like 16.2.2010 or 2010-02-16 14:30 or 2:30p
- windspeeds are in knots
- pressure in hPa
- rain in mm/h - As delimiter we accept komma, semicolon, TAB (0x09) or "\t" (witout the double quotes)
If you use tabular data one or more header lines are welcome (though not mandatory).
The ideal frequency for the data is one record every 15 minutes.
If a file contains more than one data record per 15 minutes we average them to 15 minute data.
Beside making windfinder more complete (which is a benefit by itself :-) there are some more goodies for you in return for your data:
- We can place a "Powered by <your (company) name>" link beneath your spot's real time weather graph which leads back to your site.
Please provide an URL and a name to display if you are interested.
- You can embed the wind statistics, wind diagram and forecast into your website:
http://www.windfinder.com/wind-cgi/homepageweather.pl?STATIONSNR=<your station No.>&CONFIG=1
- In return for your data we offer a free ad banner on the Windfinder weather pages of your weather station location.
If you want to share your data with us, please fill out this form to give us a first hint how we can come together. You will be contacted soon for the details.